Thursday, July 05, 2007

Thankyou for smoking - outside BITCH!

So we had a house-warming on Saturday night to celebrate our new residence. Given the geographical location, we should have had devonshire tea with Mozart playing, instead we rocked out with pizza, laughing gas and psychadelic trance music. Take that Toorak!!

Before long we headed down to Mothers Milk on Chapel to drink from the proverbial teat as it were. 12'o clock struck, the princesses and their pumpkin carriages disappeared, and so did the smoke.

Yes, let me be one of the many who are hailing legislation for a change. I know! Who would have thought we'd actually be thankful for government. But its true - smoking is now banned inside pubs and clubs. The difference was quite startling, our eyes no longer in a constant state of waterishness, our lungs no longer hugging themselves in half-pain. What it did mean was there was a constant stream of people going in and out, in and out, oh, oh, yes right there at the entrace, suck it down, mmm...

Ahem.

As I was saying, tobacco lovers had to weave a dance I'll coin the 'smokers nutbush' as they side-stepped their way back and forth to get their fix.

And thats one dance you wont catch me grooving to ;)

6 Comments:

At 06 July, 2007 09:46, Blogger ManicLovely said...

I want pictures!

 
At 10 July, 2007 16:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

while im absolutely crazy happy that now you can't smoke inside...i think clubs and bars have another pressing issue to adress: the awful smells that have replaced cigarrette smoke.
bad bo and that unmistakable feet smell is now what lurks in smoke free zones. I think clubs and bards should be hurrying to make sponsorship deals with ambie pur and other air freshners. because while im happy that im less likely to die from cancer the chances of me passing out from feet smell on a night out dancing with the girls has just gone up
newspop

 
At 12 July, 2007 13:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate says:
as a non-smoker I love it! I no longer leave with a scratchy throat, stinging eyes and hair that smells like an ashtray. While newspop makes some good points I don't think those smells are going to come out of the wood work for a while, the furniture, carpet, curtains etc still stink off ciggies and probably will for a while yet!

 
At 15 July, 2007 13:36, Blogger ManicLovely said...

I am actually really pissed off that smoking bans are in place.
As a non-smoker and a cheap skate I always counted on leaving clubs wrapped in an haze of second-hand smoke, this allowed me to have the cool "indie-bad-girl-orally fixated" image going while the real sweet and clean me could hide underneath.
I feel so ripped off.

 
At 18 July, 2007 17:22, Blogger ChristinaChox said...

Hey there Acidicat, I too would be deeply inhaling the sweet, sweet aroma of smoke free bars and pubs...(oh sorry, I just dry-retched for a second there, I got whiff of stale beer, piss, vomit and urinal cakes)
Unfortunately, I have been holed up at work and uni for the past couple of weeks and haven't been out to enjoy the 'fresh' air now available in licensed venues.

Wallowing in self pity is so hot right now!

:-)

 
At 19 July, 2007 15:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll tell ya what's absolute crap - smokers leave their tables to head outside for a fag and then ask you to 'mind their table' while they are gone. Fuck them! If you leave the table then that's it buddy, it's mine. Tip to others, if you're vulturing around for a table, wait until they have left then take it. Happened to me twice now.

David.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home