Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Time Machine #1: I Love'd Techno

This place has been quiet for awhile now. Did the blog fad finally wear thin on this boy? Hell no, I was busy building a time machine, fool! So strap yourself in, we're going back to October '06 when I went to I Love Techno in Belgium.

ILT is a massive indoor dance party which attracts some of the biggest names in the biz. Carl Cox, Kraftwerk, Tiga, Dave Clarke, Tiefschwarz - the list goes on. So after spending the day in Brussels, a friend and I caught the train out to this event. The reason I mention it was because thats where the crazy started. People running up and down the aisle, music pumping from everyone's beatboxes, people snorting lines on the seat and selling party favours left and right - this was one partay carriage.

Fighting tooth and nail we clambered onto a tram and were huddled through the security gates. This event felt like a massive human experiment, with us the drugged-up rats buzzing to and fro to different lights and sounds. Were they monitoring our brains, studying the behaviour of animals in such alien conditions, or just sitting back and chuckling at our plight? Probably all of the above. We navigated mazes to gain entry to the stage rooms whilst angry, robotic security guards peered down from on high, just itching to kill something.


Inside the insanity continued. Such elaborate setups I had not seen before, with more than enough fit-inducing strobes burning into our retinas. The music is so loud you dont really talk, although the voices in your head certainly do their fair share as you ponder all kinds of scary thoughts.

Tiga - You Gonna Want Me

Dave Clarke was the man we went to see, and he didnt disappoint. By that stage I was kind of regretting the acid, as the stimuli here was just too full on. Nevertheless I danced up a nice storm, glowing poi in hand, and managed to meet a few nice randoms also.

This is bigger and better than any commercial party Australia is likely to see - I'm just happy to say I survived it. Bring on the outdoor festivals, I'm quite content to leave this asylum for sunglass-wearing zombies for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home